Fix your hijacked web browser
Browser hijacking is a type of online fraud. Scammers use malicious software (malware) to take control of your computerâ€™s Internet browser and change how and what it displays when youâ€™re surfing the web.
If you keep your computer updated with the latest security software updates and practice safe Internet browsing, youâ€™re already doing a lot to help keep the hijackers away.
If you are already a victim of a hijacked browser, the following instructions can help you free your browser from the hackers, restore browser settings, and boost browser security.
I see popups or I am redirected to different websites
This problem can be caused due to a browser hijacker. A browser hijacker is a type of malware designed to change your browserâ€™s settings. A browser hijacker changes your web browserâ€™s home page and default search provider to a different one without your permission. The toolbars are usually bundled with certain free programs that you normally download and install. These bundles include a licensing agreement that you must accept to download and install the software. The agreement applies to all software in the bundle including the unwanted toolbars.
Hijacked Web Browser issues
- Your search is getting redirected to different websites
- Webpages load slowly
- You see multiple toolbars on your web browser which you did not install
- You get multiple pop-up alerts for advertisements
Note:Â Download and run the Norton Power Eraser to scan and remove the unwanted toolbars. After you remove the unwanted toolbars, run a Rootkit scan with Norton Power Eraser to perform a deep scan on your computer.
Run the Norton Power Eraser â€“ Unwanted Application Scan
- Download Norton Power Eraser
- Click Save.
- Select the location as Desktop, and then click Save.
- To run Norton Power Eraser, double-click the NPE.exe file.
- If the User Account Control window prompts, click Yes or Continue.
- Read the license agreement, and click Accept.
- In the Norton Power Eraser window, click the Unwanted Application Scan icon.
- When Norton Power Eraser completes the scan, the results are displayed in the Unwanted Apps Scan Complete window.
- In the Unwanted Apps Scan Complete window, next to the unwanted application or toolbar, click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- When the uninstall completes, restart the computer.
Note:Â If Norton Power Eraser does not remove the unwanted toolbars, then manually remove them by using the Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall a Program in the Control Panel.
how these programs can be prevented and removed.
- Add/Remove programs
- Restore browser settings
- Spyware, Adware, and Malware detection and removal programs
- System Restore ( restore the computer to an earlier date )