Organizational Research By

Surprising Reserch Topic

oraoledb oracle provider is not registered on the local machine

oraoledb oracle provider is not registered on the local machine  using -'c#,.net,windows,oracle'

I just migrated from XP to Win 7. I am guessing this error has to do with switching operating systems. I wrote a .net application that basically massages a large amount of data and then connects to a database and inserts/updates a table.

When I hit a button to connect to the database I run into the error regarding the oracle provider not being registered on my local machine.

A clear, step by step outline of how I can fix this quickly would be much appreciated.

The exact error message is:

  'OraOLEDB.Oracle.1' provider is not registered on the local machine


asked Sep 9, 2015 by EmiGodley
0 votes

Related Hot Questions

5 Answers

0 votes

I had the same issue after installing the 64 bit Oracle client on Windows 7 64 bit. The solution that worked for me:

  1. Open a command prompt in administrator mode
  2. cd \oracle\product\11.2.0\client_64\BIN
  3. c:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe OraOLEDB11.dll
answered Sep 9, 2015 by BudCheathamj
0 votes
  1. Right Click on My Computer
  2. Click on properties
  3. Click on Advanced System Settings
  4. Click on "Environment Variables" button.
  5. In the system Variable section find the "PATH" variable
  6. Edit the "PATH" variable and add Oracle installation path to it (from your local machine) like ;C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\bin
answered Sep 9, 2015 by DarToRot
0 votes

Do the following test:

Open a Command Prompt and type: tnsping instance_name

where instance_name is the name of the instance you want to connect (if it's a XE database, use "tnsping xe"

If it returns ok, follow steps of Der Wolf's answer. If doesn't return ok, follow steps of Annjawn's answer.

It solved for me in both cases.

answered Sep 9, 2015 by JackRandelln
0 votes

It only worked for me after I changed the 'Platform target' to 'x64' (considering I'm using Oracle 12c 64 bits)

To do that, I did:

  1. Right click on the project name (at the Solution Explorer panel locate, in general, at the left)

  2. Clicked on 'Build' (in the new opened window)

  3. Changed the 'Platform target' from 'Any CPU' to 'x64'

That solved the problem.

answered Sep 9, 2015 by TraJGS
0 votes

Building on Der Wolfs tip, I uninstalled the Oracle client and installed it again, right-clicking on the setup program, and running it as Administrator. It worked.

answered Sep 9, 2015 by SteRansome